Attending the Leaders Course
The course is split into two clear areas:
- Theory Online Training
- Practical Two Day Course
You Will Need….
We will provide you with the course content and hopefully a qualification at the end, but you will need…..
- All payments should be made 14 days prior to the course commencing.
- Mountain Bike & Helmet , spare tubes and tool for repairs. Any other item you feel you should carry as a potential leader.
- Liquid & refreshment for long rides, camel back or bottles.
- Dress for outdoor activity.
- Pen and notebook.
- Level 2 candidates APL (applied Previous Learning) or ML, BELA, WG or other logbooks you feel relevant.
Optional: a Change of clothes, just in case you get muddy and wet.
Keeping Warm: Bring extra layers as there is a fair bit of standing around when we coach the skills etc.
How the Course is delivered:
ONLINE TRAINING – to be completed before the practical weekend
- MIAS Leaders & Instructors
- Legal & Responsible Riding
- Booking The Activity
- Planning – Activity & Route
- Meeting & Leading The Group
- Kit To Carry
- First Aid on the Trail
- Bike Check & Trail Maintenance
- Navigation – Theory
Practical Two Day Course
Day 1 – Practical Training
Morning (9am start):
- The M Check
- Checking Your Bike
- Skills & How to Coach Them
- Risk Assessing Trails
- Recce Ride & Practical Navigation
- Debrief & Arrangements for Assessment Ride
We should finish no later than 5pm or when it gets dark whichever comes first
Day 2 – ASSESSMENT
Morning: Start Time: 9am
READY TO RIDE, we are out on the bikes all day. With the possibility of passing a cafe but have a packed lunch just in case we don’t.
We will ride the route that we recced the day before with each candidate taking a lead section dealing with any issues that may arise.
Debrief & Feedback (back in the classroom)
Finish no later than 5pmONLINE