Other Interesting Info
- The emergencySMS service is an add on to the existing 999 and 18000 services that are available in the UK. Your SMS text message will be connected to 999 through the Text Relay 18000 service.
- A relay assistant will speak your SMS message to the 999 advisor, their reply will be sent back to you as an SMS message.
- If you send another SMS text message the relay assistant will read it to the 999 advisor and send their reply back to you.
The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people (although it is not restricted to them and available to anyone) in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.
Simply by sending an SMS message to 999 you can call for help and the emergency services will be able to reply to you.
You will need to register your mobile phone before using the emergencySMS service, click on the Registering your phone link above for more information.
To register using SMS text messages you must:
- Send the word ‘register’ in an SMS message to 999
- You will then receive SMS messages about the service
- When you have read these SMS messages reply by sending ‘yes’ in an SMS message to 999
- You will receive a SMS message telling you that your mobile phone is registered or if there is a problem with your registration
On the video click on the 3 lines in the top left hand corner to view the menu for the 8 videos in this series